Parmigiana is beautiful Italian soul food. This recipe uses zucchini as well as eggplant to switch things up a bit, but also because zucchinis are a source of folic acid, which helps to reduce fatigue.
Eggplant Parmigiana with Crispy Breadcrumbs Recipe
1 small eggplant
2 small zucchini
1 bunch of fresh basil (15g)
75 g mozzarella cheese
10 g Parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic
1 x 400 g tin of tomatoes
50 g dried breadcrumbs
50 g rocket
extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the grill to full whack and place a large tray on a shelf close to the heat.
2. Trim the zucchini and eggplant, slice lengthways into ½ cm pieces, then place in a bowl. Sprinkle generously with sea salt and toss, then put aside.
3. Pick the basil leaves, set aside and finely chop the stalks. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
4. Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat, add the garlic and basil stalks, then fry gently for 2 minutes before adding half the tomatoes (save the rest of another day) and the same volume of water. Cook for 10 minutes, or until it reaches a saucy consistency.
5. Meanwhile, rinse the zucchini and eggplant, then pat dry with kitchen roll. Tip back into a bowl and toss with 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil, and a good pinch of seasoning.
6. Spread the zucchini and eggplant on the hot tray and slide under the heat (you may need to do this in batches, as you want the veg in one layer).
7. Grill for about 5 minutes, or until browned, then flip the veg grill for a further 5 minutes. Keep an eye on the veg as it grills, then tip into a bowl.
8. Taste and season the sauce, then pour over the vegetables. Tear over the basil leaves and mix.
9. Spread evenly on the tray and tear over the mozzarella. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grate over the Parmesan, then slide back under the grill. Grill until the cheese has melted.
10. Meanwhile, squeeze half the lemon juice into a bowl, add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and pinch of seasoning. Mix well, then toss through the rocket. When the parmigiana is bubbling and delicious, divide between plates and serve with the rocket.