Delicious and healthy eggplant recipe. Enjoy this Grilled Eggplant with some chunky pieces of my olive bread grilled and drizzled with a touch more extra virgin olive oil.
1x large eggplant/aubergine
1 x clove of garlic (chopped fine)
A small handful of table salt
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
4 x tablespoons of extra virgin oliveoil
A handful of rocket or baby spinach (or even a mix!)
1 x grilling pan
1 x set of tongs
1 x knife
1 x chopping board
1 x glass
1. Cut off the top and bottom of the eggplant.
2. Cut the eggplant lengthways down the middle
3. Heat the grilling pan for around 3-5 minutes (medium heat)
4. Place one half of the eggplant facing down on a chopping board and make slices approx. 1cm apart.
5. Slice the skin off each end piece because it can be tough and hard to grill.
6. Place the strips of eggplant on the grill and sprinkle a small pinch of salt over the top to help the excess water
7. After around 2 minutes, use the tongs to flip each strip over to the other side and add a small sprinkle of salt to this side too.
8. Turn each slice a couple more times until they become lightly golden and brown.
9. Remove the grill from the stove and place the strips of eggplant on to a chopping board.
HOW TO SERVE
1. Cut the slices of eggplant in half and let them rest.
2. Using your hands, pick up the salad and place it into one of your palms.
3. Put the ball of rocket or baby spinach on to a flat white plate or an antipasto style serving board. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the top.
4. Lean each of the pieces of eggplant on the salad all the way around the sides.
5. Each piece can overlap a little bit.
6. Sprinkle some garlic all over the top (as much or as little as you like!)
7. Add 3 x tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to ¼ glass of balsamic vinegar and mix it with a spoon.
8. Drizzle the mix over the top of the eggplant, making sure you wet most of it so it will soak through….yum!
9. If you want to, you can also sprinkle the chopped parsley over the top.
10. Enjoy this starter with some chunky pieces of my olive bread grilled and drizzled with a touch more extra virgin olive oil.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!