Italian Sausage Casserole with the perfect mix of potatoes and tomato sauce baked in the oven until they are crisp. Simple but FULL OF FLAVOUR!
SAUSAGES & POTATO AL FORNO
1 x large/2 x medium zucchini (chopped)
3 x thick Italian pork sausages
1 x large carrot
2 x garlic cloves
A handful of dried mixed herbs
3 generous pinches of table salt
7 x baby potatoes (cut into small pieces)
1 x large sweet potato (cut into cubes)
7 x basil leaves
Extra virgin olive oil
1 x bottle of Italian tomato passata
1 x sharp knife
1 x deep pyrex tray or large Bessemer baking tray
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Cut the sausages into pieces (around 1cm big)
3. Put the baby potatoes and sweet potatoes into the tray and spread them all around.
4. Add the zucchini and carrots, spreading them around also.
5. You can add the garlic cloves whole and put them on either side of the tray, pushing them to the bottom, or you can cut the cloves into smaller pieces and spread them among the vegetables.
6. Now, it’s time for the sausage! Add the pieces of sausage to the top of the vegetables around 3cm apart from one another making sure they stay on top as you need to brown them first.
7. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt to the mixture and add my favourite secret ingredient, MORE MIXED HERBS!!
8. Drizzle at least 4-5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over the top and make sure you don’t be shy because otherwise the ingredients will dry up…
9. Place the tray into the oven for 10 minutes.
10. After 10 minutes have passed, carefully remove the tray from the oven and you will see that the sausages have started to cook.
11. Pour the tomato passata over the ingredients and mix it through (gently but really well) using a wooden spoon.
12. Break the basil leaves with your hands and add them to the mixture too. The smell will be divine!
13. Put the tray back into the oven for at least 45 minutes (depending on your oven)
14. Every 10 or so minutes, pull the tray out of the oven and carefully mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon to help them cook throughout.
15. TIP: The baby potatoes normally take the longest to cook, so if you’re unsure, try one after 45 minutes and if it is still a little bit hard, leave the tray in the oven for another 10 minutes.
HOW TO SERVE
1. Get a flat white plate and scoop a generous serving of the sausages and potato into the middle.
2. Add a fresh basil leaf for even more aroma and goodness.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!