A calzone forms an important part of the Italian cuisine. This dish, originating in Naples, is an Italian filled oven bread, shaped as a folded pizza. Resembling a half-moon, it is made of bread dough. Chef Ruchi Bharani brings you her version of Calzones filled with mouth-watering vegetables seasoned with pizza sauce.
For making dough:
200 gms. maida (all purpose flour)
Water as required
1 tbsp. yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. butter (room temperature)
Salt to taste
1/4 cup milk
1 cup pizza sauce
3/4 cup cheese
1 cup veggies – finely chopped onions, green capsicum, yellow capsicum, zucchini and baby corn (as per choice)
– Heat water until it’s lukewarm.
– In a bowl, put some yeast, sugar and the lukewarm water and put it aside for the yeast to activate.
– In another bowl, put some all purpose flour, salt, butter (room temperature) and some milk and mix all the ingredients together.
– Once the yeast starts floating on the surface, mix it well and add a little amount of water to the flour.
– Knead into a soft dough by mixing all the ingredients together.
– Dust the work surface with some plain flour and knock the dough on it until the dough stops sticking to your hand.
– Place the dough back into the bowl and wrap the bowl with a cling wrap.
– Let the dough ferment for at least 1 hour in a warm place.
To make the filling:
– Heat some olive oil in a pan.
– Add finely chopped onions, green capsicum, yellow capsicum, zucchini and baby corn and saute them well.
– Add pizza sauce and mix it with the veggies well.
– Let the calzone filling cool down completely.
– Once the filling cools down completely, add some mozzarella cheese and mix it well with the filling.
To make calzones:
– Take a small part of the dough and start making mini calzones
– Sprinkle some dry flour on the work surface and roll the calzones.
– Apply a little bit of water around the rolled calzone.
– Put some filling at the centre of the roll and fold it into a semi circle.
– Fold the edges well.
– You may use a fork to make designs at the edges and also insert the fork slightly on the calzone to let out all the steam.
– Brush the tray with a little bit of oil
– Place the calzone on the tray and brush them with oil or egg wash.
– Let the calzones rest for 10 minutes and then in a pre heated oven, bake them for about 10-15 minutes.
– The delicious, mouth-watering calzones are ready to serve.